Date(s) - 26/07/2021 - 29/07/2021
12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Categories No Categories
COVID Infection Control for Engineers
IMechE Training Course
Throughout the pandemic, we have struggled to control the transmission of COVID – especially in indoor spaces. The Government Chief Scientific Adviser is looking for answers to this pressing issue.
The Royal Academy of Engineering has been commissioned to investigate effective and proven ways to build resilience to transmission of COVID and any future pandemics. The findings of the report give clear ways to ensure we can control the virus, continue building our economy and prevent humanitarian tragedies encompassing illness and death and overall disruption to our way of life – during COVID and after.
As COVID and most other pandemics are airborne, the report focused on the need to bring indoor ventilation to the 21st century. Not only is improved air quality critically needed for safer indoor spaces to protect occupants against pathogens, the quality of indoor air is also crucial to long term health and vitality of the workforce and residents of indoor spaces. The Institutions Pandemic Infection Control Solutions task force has been working closely with our Learning and Development team developing a CPD course which aims to train people in line with latest thinking on indoor air quality, link it to increased productivity and reduced sick leave. It is compiled by subject matter experts at the forefront of their respective sectors and aims to give a comprehensive overview of the problems we are facing and offer insight on how to solve them.
- Module 1: SARS-CoV-2 virus and infection science
- Module 2: Engineering interventions part 1 – Ventilation
- Module 3: Engineering interventions part 2 – UV & Filters
- Module 4: Masks and their role in controlling infection as part of the overall engineering risk assessment
- Professor Catherine Noakes OBE FIMechE FIHEEM
- Frank Mills BSc(Hons) FCIBSE FIMechE MASHRAE
- Andrew Bradley CEng FIMechE FRAeS
- Paul Waldeck CEng MICE MIStructE MASHRAE
The course is run over four days. Each session lasting 90 minutes (60 minute lecture & 30 minutes Q&A).